So, I’ve let a few days go by without posting and I would like to explain myself. Carl is sick. Not the simple kind of sick where he can take some medicine and go about his life, but the kind of sick where he thinks he’s dying and lays around being pathetic. I know, it’s been fun. It’s been inhibiting my blogging time, but has been a major lesson. I’ve learned what it takes to survive dealing with a sick boyfriend.
I’ve decided to list the valuable lessons I’ve taken away from caring for Carl these past few days. Hopefully they will help you in you and your boyfriend’s time of need. Here are all the things that have become “must-haves” for taking care of sick Carl.
1. Lots and lots of medicine. With Carl, you need ALL the medicine. If you’re like me, you already have lots on hand. I don’t do being sick, I do lots of medicine and feeling better ASAP. The best medicine is anything that will put him to sleep. He can’t complain if he’s not awake, right?
2. Those little medicine measuring cups. Carl doesn’t understand the difference between a tablespoon and teaspoon. I know this because I just watched him take three tablespoons of Robitussin instead of the recommended teaspoons because he thought it was tablespoons. Yeah, I don’t understand it either.
3. You need a big ‘ole box of tissues. A roll of toilet paper won’t work. I know this because I made Carl use one due to lack if real tissues. He did not approve. The type of fluid coming out Carl’s nose is too much for it.
4. A grocery bag. This is for the millions and millions of tissues your man will go through. If he doesn’t have a grocery bag or trash can within reach, he WILL throw them on the floor or all over the bed. He may try and “basketball shoot” them into a trash can, but he will miss. They almost always do.
5. Netflix. This of course isn’t necessary, but it sure has made my life easier. Carl can just lay in bed and watch whatever he wants. I don’t have to listen to him complain about wanting something to do or watch.
6. Fast and easy to cook food. Carl either wants nothing to eat or everything to eat and when he’s sick, he doesn’t want to get out of bed to get it. More often than not, he wants food about the time you want to be sitting down doing nothing. Having quick easy food ready to go makes life much easier.
7. A nice pillow and blanket. You also want to be sure the pillow has a case on it. This way he can be comfortable and his germs will get all up on the pillow case and blanket. Once he starts getting better you can pop them right in the washer and get rid of all the germs.
8. A laptop or good book. If your man is like Carl, he needs you next to him while he’s sick. Literally, right next to him, so he can lay in his misery with an arm or head on you. To me, this is boring. He has control of the Netflix remote, what am I gonna do? The answer is go on my laptop or read a book. I get to do what I want without him bugging me to pay attention to what he’s watching.
9. Antibacterial lotion or gel. Because I don’t want to get sick. Heaven help Carl if his plague spreads to me.
10. Love and patience. Corny? Yes. Important? Most definitely. How else could you put up with the whining and needing mess that is your boyfriend? You may know he’s going to be just fine, and honestly he probably does too, but it’s always nice to have someone who’s there for you when you need it.
There you have it. I look at this list and realize that this is going to be the rest of my life, at least every time Carl gets sick. Now I know what to expect and what I need to survive.
What are your “must-haves” for when your man is sick?